New App launches for ESTA US Travel Applications
The US Customs and Border Protection Agency (CBP) has announced it is launching a new app that will allow travelers to apply for ESTA authorization from smartphones and tablets.
The app allows those who may be eligible to travel to the US visa-free to submit their ESTA applications from their smartphones, mobile devices or tablets. This service is in addition to the existing online application form on the CBP website, which continues to be available.
The announcement states the app offers ESTA applicants the following functionality:
- Starting an ESTA application
- Scanning an image of a passport
- Having the passport read and confirmed
- Uploading a live video selfie to confirm identity
- Adding personal and travel details to the application
- Answering eligibility questions
- Reviewing and submitting the application
- Making changes or updates to the application or profile
- Receiving notifications and application status updates
- Saving time by storing preferences and profile details within the app
The app is available in 40 countries and in 24 languages and can be downloaded for free from the App Store (Apple) or the Google Play Store (Android).
To travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program, travelers must have been granted ESTA authorization.
This article does not constitute direct legal advice and is for informational purposes only.