CALL US: +44 (0)20 8004 3492

B1 Visa

Do you need to travel to the US for business?

B1 Visa

To travel to the United States temporarily on business, you have to ensure you have the relevant permission. 

You may have to apply for the B-1 visitor visa if you are a national of a country that does not participate in the US Visa Waiver Program, or if you are otherwise ineligible for visa-free travel to the USA, for example, due to a criminal conviction.


NNU Immigration are here to help!

NNU Immigration are specialists across all classes of US visa, including the B1 visa for business visitors.

The B1 visitor rules on permissible activities are strict and you can be denied entry at the border if officials are not satisfied that you will comply with the rules. Your application will also require you to attend a visa interview, which you should prepare for to avoid issues with your application. 

With exceptional knowledge and insight into the visa application processes, we advise non-US nationals on available US visa and immigration options, including the B1 visa, providing full support with your application to the US authorities.

Contact our US immigration experts

For advice on any aspect of a US visa application, contact our US immigration attorneys.

Contact our B-1 visa experts

For advice on any aspect of your B-1 visa application, contact our US immigration attorneys. 

Contact our B-1 visa experts

For advice on any aspect of your B-1 visa application, contact our US immigration attorneys. 


B-1 Visa Frequently Asked Questions

What is the B1 visa?

If the purpose of your planned travel relates to business, you may need the B1 visa. Permissible activities under the B1 visa include consulting with business associates, travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention or conference on specific dates or negotiating contracts.


What is the B2 visa?

If the purpose of your planned travel relates to tourism, visits with friends or relatives, or medical treatment then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa.


What is the B1/B2 visa?

The combined B1/B2 visa is what is most commonly issued to visitors, allowing the visa holder to carry out the permissible activities under both visa categories. 


Can I undertake paid employment on a B1 visa?

No, the rules are clear that the B1 visa cannot be used for the purposes of carrying out actual labor work or gainful employment.


What are permissible activities under the B1 visa?

The B1 visa can be used in a number of scenarios outside of the exemptions. For example, for project scoping, attending conferences or business meetings.


What are the US visitor visa requirements?

Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under US law.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant.

Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating the following:

  • The purpose of your trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
  • You plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
  • You have sufficient funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • You have strong social and economic ties abroad; and
  • You have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.


If you believe you may require a B1 visa please contact us for a comprehensive review of your circumstances and a detailed discussion about strategy, procedures, timing, and costs.


How long does a B1 visa take to process?

You are advised to submit your application no later than 60 days before your intended date of travel.

As with all visa applications, decision times depend on the consulates involved and their workload.


What is the difference between the date of the visa stamp and the authorized duration?

Your authorized duration is just that – it relates to the length of time for your approved visit which is granted by Customs and Border Protection at the time of your entry into the United States Under the Visa Waiver Program this is typically 90 days. For a B visa holder admission could be up to 6 months.

The visa stamp duration relates to the window of time within which you can actually enter the US for the visit.

For example, the visa stamp may say 10 years – within that 10 year period you may be allowed to make multiple visits. This does not mean you are permitted to stay in the US for a continuous decade.

It is important to distinguish between the two, they are not in any way ‘interchangeable’.


Can dependents apply?

Dependents – spouses, children – can apply for a B2 tourist visa but if the business traveller is genuinely travelling for a specific business purpose, the embassy officer may not deem it appropriate to issue a long-term visitor visa for a spouse and children. Seek professional advice to determine the best course of action for your circumstances.

Need specialist advice? Speak to our experts.

Need specialist advice? Speak to our experts.