How Much Does A Visa For America Cost?
Different US visas incur different fees.
Costs are also subject to change, and you are advised to check at the time of making an application to ensure you are paying the correct amount to avoid issues or delays with your application.
ESTA applications cost $21 per person for individuals looking to travel to the US on the visa waiver program. The fee is usually taken in your local currency at the current exchange rate.
How much is a temporary US visa?
|US visa type||Application fee|
|Non-petition Based Visas||$160|
|Petition Based Visas||$190|
Non-petition based visas
Non-petition based visas do not require sponsorship. These include:
- B-1 and B-2 visas
- F visa for students and academics
- I visa for media and journalists
- J visa for exchange visitors
- M visa for vocational students
Applicants apply using form DS-160, submitting supporting evidence and attending a visa interview.
Petition based visas
Petition based visas require sponsorship by an employer or someone from the US. The sponsor will also have to file a petition (and pay a petitioning fee) before the main applicant can submit their application.
Petition based visas include:
- H visas for temporary workers
- L visas for intracompany transfers
- O visas for persons with extraordinary abilities
- P visa for athletes, entertainers, and artists
- Q visa for international cultural exchanges
- R visa for religious workers
Additional fees may also apply for nonimmigrant visa applications:
- L visa applications – $500.00 for fraud detection and prevention
- H visa applications – $4,500.00 for petitioning
- Reciprocity fees – fees for issuing visa and border crossing cards. These depend on the country you are applying from and the passport that you hold.
Exemptions to nonimmigrant visa fees
- A, G, C-2, C-3, NATO, and diplomatic visas
- J visa applicants sponsored by the U.S government
- To replace a machine-readable visa when the original visa was not well stamped and it was not the applicant’s fault
- Applicants part of international agreements such as members of staff of the UN Headquarters and their families
- Applicants travelling for charity purposes
- U.S government employees travelling for official business
- Parents, siblings, spouse, and children of a U.S government employee who was killed in the line of duty, and the family is travelling to attend the funeral or burial
Reciprocity fees are not payable where:
- Visa applicants are part of international agreements such as members of staff of the UN Headquarters or the UN General Assembly, and their families
- Visa applicants transiting to the UN Headquarters
- Visa applicants part of a U.S government sponsored program and their spouse and children
- Visa applicants travelling for charity purposes
How much is a permanent US visa?
The following fees are to be paid when applying for a permanent US visa:
- Immediate Relative or Family Preference Immigration Applications $325.00 USD in addition to the petition
- Employment Based Immigration Applications $345.00 USD in addition to the petition
- Other immigration applications (such as self-petitioning) $205.00
- K visa for a fiancé or spouse of a U.S citizen $265.00
- Immigrant Petition for Relative $535.00
- Orphan Immediate Relative Petition $775.00
- Affidavit of Support $120.00 – payable by US citizen sponsors
Certain Afghan or Iraqi special immigrant applications have no fee.
How much are the US Diversity Visa fees?
The U.S Diversity Visa or Lottery application (‘sign-up’) is $330.00, payable before submitting the application online.
This article does not constitute direct legal advice and is for informational purposes only.