Applying for a US Worker Visa - FAQs

Applying for a USA work visa – FAQs

Key considerations when applying for a US worker visa

You can only work in the USA as a non-US national if you have the required permission. Where you do not have a valid US Green Card or employment authorization document, you will need to apply to US authorities for an employment-related visa.

To make an application for an employment visa, you to first need to file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If approved, you can then apply for your visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, which will include attending a visa interview at the consular post where you filed your petition.




What are the different types of US worker visa?

Employment visas allow you to work for a particular employer to carry out pre-agreed duties. Your eligibility will be dependent on having a specific offer of employment in the US.

There are a broad range of work visa classifications to consider.

Temporary work visas

If you are looking to work in the US on a short-term basis and require temporary permission, you would be looking at applying for a nonimmigrant work visa.

While the Visa Waiver Program may be the first consideration for short term visits to the US, individuals travelling under the VWP are prohibited from undertaking gainful employment while in the US. A work visa must be secured to be able to be employed in the US.

For all non-immigrant visas, the intention of the applicant must be to depart the US on completion of their assignment approved work assignment or certainly ahead of visa expiry. You will be asked to evidence in your application that you hold ‘sufficient ties’ to your country of residence to prove this intention to leave the US.

It may be possible to apply to renew your visa while in-country, provided you continue to meet the eligibility requirement under the specific visa category.

Some of the more common, temporary worker visa types include:

L-1 visa – Intra-Company Transfer visa

The Intra-Company Transfer visa is for employees of an international company being temporarily transferred to a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same company in the US.

To be eligible for an L-1 visa you must work in a managerial or executive capacity, or have specialised knowledge or skills. You must also have been employed with the international company continuously for 1 year within the 3 years preceding the American work visa application.

A petition must be filed by your employer and approved by USCIS before applying for the visa at a US Embassy or Consulate.

More about the L-1 Visa >

H-1B visa – Speciality Occupation visa

The speciality occupation visa allows you to work in the US to perform skilled services for a qualifying US employer.

To be eligible you will need a bachelor’s or higher degree, or equivalent, in the specialty occupation for which authorisation is being sought.

Your prospective employer must file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor setting out the terms and conditions of your contract of employment, as well as an employment-based petition on your behalf with USCIS.

A cap applies to the number of H-1B visa that can be allocated, and the route is highly oversubscribed. Meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee a visa, and your application will be subject to the H-1B lottery.

More about the H-1B Visa >

O-1 visas – Persons with extraordinary ability

The O-1 visa is aimed at individuals who can evidence extraordinary ability in their area of expertise, which must fall under either sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, or where they can demonstrate a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

The eligibility threshold is extremely high and the evidentiary requirements to support your application are extensive, requiring letters of endorsements from leading authority figures in your field.

More about the O-1 Visa >

I-visa – members of the media

The I-visa allows representatives of the foreign media to travel on temporary assignment to the US. This includes members of the press, radio or film, such as reporters, film crews or editors.

To be eligible for an I-visa the qualifying activity must be “informational” in content and associated with journalism or disseminating information and news.

More about the I Visa >

E-2 visa – Treaty Investor visa

Under an E-2 visa, nationals of E-2 Treaty countries can come to the US to work for a qualifying enterprise as either an executive, supervisor, or essentially skilled employee or as an owner or investor.

The eligibility requirements on E-2 visa applicants are extensive, and include the requirement up-front investment to have been made in the business and for the business itself to apply for E-2 company registration.

More about the E-2 Visa >

E-1 visa – Treaty Trader visa

The E-1 Treaty Trader visa is open to nationals of Treaty countries looking to enter the US to further trade between the UK and the US. This can be as a company employee or owner.

As with the E-2 visa, the E-1 visa criteria are demanding, with rules specifying the nature of trade that must be carried out to qualify under this route.

More about the E-1 Visa >

Permanent worker visas

Each year, around 140,000 immigrant visas are made available across five categories to non-US residents with skills deemed desirable to the US economy.

With an immigrant visa, you will have a permanent right to enter, live and work in the US.

An immigrant visa will need to be secured you intend to apply for permanent permission to work in the US.

Employment-based immigrant visas include:

  • First preference EB-1 – for those possessing extraordinary ability in science, art, education, business, athletics, academia and multinational executives and managers
  • Second preference EB-2 – for members of the professions with advanced degrees or for those with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business
  • Third preference EB-3 – for professionals, skilled workers, and other workers satisfying prescribed job classifications
  • Fourth preference EB-4 – for “special immigrants” such as religious workers, employees of U.S. foreign service posts, retired employees of international organizations, alien minors who are wards of courts in the United States, and other classes of aliens
  • Fifth preference EB-5 – business investors who invest $1 million, or $500,000 in a targeted employment area, in a new commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 full-time U.S. workers

For EB-2 and EB-3, the employer will generally need to apply for Labor Certification to permit them to sponsor you.

How much does it cost for a work visa?

The costs associated with a work visa will vary depending on thye type of visa you are applying for.

All non-immigrant visa applications carry the MRV (Machine Readable Visa) fee which is to be paid when scheduling your visa interview. The costs as at October 2018 are:

  • For tourist, business, student & exchange visas – $160
  • Petition-based applicants (H, L, O, P, Q, R) – $190
  • E-1, E-2 & E-3 visa applicants – $205
  • K visas – $265

Other charges may also apply depending on your nationality. The Visa Reciprocity Fee for example applies only to certain visa classifications for foreing nationals where US citizens are required to pay a fee for the equivalent visa class.

Employment visas such as the H visas and L visas also carry specific fees, largely payable by the employer and students and exchange visitors will have to pay the SEVIS fee:

  • For nonimmigrant students with Form I-20, the SEVIS fee is $200.
  • For most exchange visitors with Form DS-2019, the SEVIS fee is $180.

Can I work in the USA?

To work in the US, you will need to meet the eligibility requirements of the visa you intend to apply for.

You will in most cases require a specific offer of employment. Exceptions may apply for spouses of visa holders. H-4 visa holders for example, ie spouses of H-1Bs, are permitted to apply for work authorization once their H-1B spouse is eligible for US permanent residence.

Irrespective of your skills and expertise, you will not be permitted to enter the US if you are deemed inadmissible.

This may be by reason of health, criminal activity, national security, lack of labor certification, fraud and misrepresentation or prior removals among other categories.

Exceptions do however apply and it may be possible to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility to overcome the grounds for entry refusal. Take advice on your circumstances to understand your options.

How long does it take to get a US work visa?

The processing time for a US visa application will be determined by a depends a lot on the type of visa you are trying to get. While the temporary nonimmigrant visas might take you up to a few weeks, or months at most, the immigrant visas can take years to get approved.

Visa processing times will be determined by a number of factors, including:

  • The type of visa you are applying for – petition-based employment visas will take longer to process than visitor visas.
  • The consular post where you are filing your petition – different petitioning processes apply at different consulate posts, and the caseload of the adjudicating officer will also dictate processing times.
  • The quality of your application – errors or omissions can result in delays, if not refusal.
  • Your personal circumstances – for example, your travel history and if you have a criminal record. If you are applying for a waiver of inadmissibility, you should expect your application to take around 6 – 8 months.

USCIS are reluctant to commit to processing leadtimes since each application is adjudicated on a case-by-case basis. As such, you are advised to work as much in advance of your intended travel plans as possible.

If your visa is granted during your interview, it would usually take 5-7 working days for the visa to updated and sent back to you by courier.

Do I need to be sponsored to work in the US?

Certain categories of US worker visa will require you to be sponsored by a qualifying employer, such as the H-1B and L-1 visas.

As a sponsor, the employer is confirming your status as a lawful worker undertaking the employment duties you have been hired to perform.

An employing sponsor will have to make a separate petition to the US immigration authorities to be granted Labor Certification approval to hire non-US workers, and pay additional costs in respect of the organisational and employee applications.

Do you have a query about a US visa? Book a fixed fee telephone consultation with a US immigration attorney >>

This article does not constitute direct legal advice and is for informational purposes only.

Recent Articles & Videos

2019-02-06T00:14:39+00:00October 17, 2018|US visas|