CALL US: +44 (0)20 8004 3492

O Visa USA: Guidance for Applicants

O Visa USA: Guidance for Applicants

The O visa comprises three categories:

  • O-1 visa for individuals possessing extraordinary ability in their field and who have a qualifying offer of work in the US.
  • O-2 visa for individuals offering key assistance and support to the O-1 visa holder in their field of work.
  • O-3 visa for spouses and children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders.

We look at each category in turn, with their individual eligibility requirements and rules on what visa holders are allowed to do.


O-1 visa requirements

The O-1 visa allows individuals with exceptional ability and standing in their professional field to come to the US temporarily to perform or work under qualifying employment.

It is split into two distinct categories:

  • O-1A visa for those with extraordinary ability in science, education, business, or athletics.
  • O-1B if you have extraordinary ability in the arts.

The eligibility and evidentiary requirements vary between the two categories. Taking professional advice will ensure you build a submission that works to the relevant rules and thresholds.

A mandatory rquirements of the O-1 visa is to have secured employment in the US, which you must be able to evidence adequately within your application.

O-1 visa application processing is generally much quicker than that of other US work visas, and it also allows for eligible dependents and key personnel to join the O-1 visa holder (see below).

O-1A and B visas are renewable indefinitely, provided you continue to meet O-1 visa requirements.

You may potentially be eligible for an Extraordinary Ability Green Card but you will need to take advice to determine the options available to you.

The visa rules are specific and extensive in stipulating the evidence and documents that are needed to evidence O-1 eligibility. In brief, you will need to prove either:


O-1A visa

  • You have received a major, internationally-recognized award in your particular field.


  • Submit at least three of the below documents, or comparable evidence, to prove your eligibility:
    • Documentation of your receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in your field of endeavour;
    • Documentation of your membership in associations in your field which require outstanding achievements of their members, as judged by recognized national or international experts in their disciplines or fields;
    • Published material in professional or major trade publications or major media about you, relating to your work in the field.
    • Evidence of your participation on a panel or as a judge of the work of others in your field.
    • Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field;
    • Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional journals, or other major media;
    • Evidence that you have been employed in a critical or essential capacity for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation; or
    • Evidence that you have commanded a high salary or you will command a high salary for your services.


O-1B visa

  • Evidence that you have been nominated for, or have been the recipient of, significant national or international awards or prizes in your field.


  • Submit at least three of the below documents, or comparable evidence, to prove your eligibility:
    • Evidence you have performed, and will perform services as a lead or starring participant in productions or events which have a distinguished reputation;
    • Evidence you have achieved national or international recognition for achievements evidenced by critical reviews or other published materials by or about you in major publications;
    • Evidence you have performed, and will perform, in a lead, starring or critical role for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation;
    • Evidence that you have a record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes;
    • Evidence that you have received significant recognition for achievements from experts in the field; or
    • Evidence that you have commanded a high salary or will command a high salary in relation to others in the field.


O-2 visa requirements

The O-2 visa allows key employees of O-1 visa holders to travel with them to the US for the purpose of providing critical assistance in the performance of their O-1 role.

The visa will be granted for the same duration as the principal O-1 visa, up to maximum of 3 years. During the visa validity, you can travel in and out of the US freely provided your reason for travel is part of your support for the O-1 visa holder.

Dependents can apply to travel with you under the O-3 visa.

The O-2 visa is limited to employees of O-1s operating in the fields of arts, motion picture, television productions or athletics. O-1 visa holders in sciences, business or education cannot be accompanied by O 2 visa holders.

The working relationship between the principal visa holder and their support personnel must be pre-existing and longstanding and the applicant must show they are an integral part of the O-1’s performance, possessing essential skills and experience to the O-1’s performance.

The threshold is notably high for this route. With US immigration policy favoring domestic workers, your application will need to work hard to prove why you possess critical skills and experience that cannot be readily provided by a US worker, and which are essential to the O-1 athlete or artist’s performance.

O-2 visa holders are restricted to working for their O-1 visa employer while in the US.


O-3 visa requirements

The O-3 visa is a dependent visa for spouses and children of O-1 or O-2 visa holders. Their permission to remain in the US is directly linked to that of the principal visa holder. This means their visa validity reflects that of the O-1 or O-2 visa holder.

The O-3 visa is only open to spouses and children under the age of 21 of O1 or O-2 visa holders. Other family members, including parents of the principal visa holder, cannot apply under this route.

O-3 visa holders are permitted to enter and live in the US, where they can also study. They cannot however work. To attain employment authorization, O-3 visa holders will have to apply to transfer their status to a visa category that permits employment, such as the H-1B visa.

O-3 visas can be extended, but again, this has to mirror the validity of the principal visa holder. As such, they can only apply to extend if their O-1 or O-2 spouse or parent is also applying to extend.

Extensions are granted for 12 months and there is on limit on the number of times the visa can be extended, provided the visa holder continues to be eligible under the visa classification.

It is possible to apply at the same time as the principal visa holder, or to apply after the principal visa has ben granted.


Need assistance?

NNU Immigration are specialist US immigration attorneys with particular expertise in the O visa category.

If you have a question about your visa options, please contact us for advice.

This article does not constitute direct legal advice and is for informational purposes only.

By Nita Nicole Upadhye

Share on social

Need specialist advice? Speak to our experts.