CALL US: +44 (0)20 8004 3492

American Tourist Visa Application

By Nita Nicole Upadhye

Table of Contents

American Tourist Visa Application

Overseas nationals visiting America for tourism will need appropriate permission to travel to the USA.

Generally, your options are to travel without a visa if you have been granted ESTA authorization or to secure an American tourist visa if you don’t qualify for visa-free travel.


Do I need an American tourist visa?

Traveling without a visa will always be the preferred option as it involves substantially less time, money and hassle. However, not everyone will qualify. If visa-free travel is not open to you, it does not in itself mean you won’t be able to travel to the US – it means you will need to make an application for the appropriate visa.

Where the purpose of your trip is tourism, and you only plan to visit the US for a period of up to 90 days, you may not need a visa at all.

Under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) citizens of certain countries are allowed to travel to the US for the purposes of tourism visa-free, so long as the proposed trip does not extend beyond the permitted timeframe.

Broadly speaking, if you have a valid e-passport as a citizen of one of the partner countries, you will be eligible for visa-free travel under the VWP.

That said, you will not be eligible if you are a national of a VWP country and also a dual national of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria. You may also be ineligible in most cases if you have traveled to, or been present in, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Syria, Somalia or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011, or Cuba on or after January 12, 2021.

You may also be denied visa-free travel if:

  • You have been arrested for certain crimes, even if the arrest did not result in criminal conviction, or you have a criminal record.
  • You have been denied entry to or deported from the US or you have previously overstayed on the VWP.
  • You have a serious communicable illness.


How do I apply for visa-free travel?

To apply for visa-free travel under the VWP, you must obtain authorisation to enter the United States using what’s known as the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a US-bound air or sea carrier.

As previously indicated, to travel under the VWP, and therefore be eligible for ESTA, you must possess a valid electronic and machine-readable passport. These are enhanced secure passports with an embedded chip containing key biometric information about you as the passport holder.

You will need to complete an online pre-registration form, either on the ESTA website or ESTA app, at least 72 hours before departure.

If you receive a “Travel Not Authorized” response to your ESTA application, but still wish to continue with your travel plans, you will need to apply for a B2 or other type of visa. The denial of a travel authorisation only prohibits travel under the VWP, and is not a determination of eligibility for a visa to travel to the U.S.

Denial of visa-free travel could significantly delay or scupper any travel plans so, in the event of any uncertainty, you should always seek expert advice well in advance of travelling to the United States, and prior to making any non-refundable travel arrangements.


B visa

The B-2 classification is the American tourist visa, is a temporary, or nonimmigrant, visa for those travelling to the U.S. for the purposes of tourism, pleasure, or visiting friends and family. The B2 visa can also be used for the following activities:

  • Undergoing a medical procedure or medical treatment
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social or service organisations
  • Enrolment in a short recreational course of study, albeit not for credit toward a degree, for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation.

Under the B2 Visitor Visa you will not be permitted to work in a professional capacity, either paid or unpaid, or undertake gainful employment of any kind. Further, in the limited circumstances in which you are permitted to undertake any study, your primary purpose for being in the U.S. must still be tourism.


B-2 visa eligibility requirements

There are various eligibility requirements that you must satisfy to qualify for an American Tourist Visa. These include:

  • The purpose of your trip is to enter the United States temporarily for the purposes of tourism
  • You plan to stay in the United States for a specific limited period
  • You have evidence of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during the course of your stay in the United States
  • You have a residence outside the United States, as well as other binding ties, that will ensure your departure from the United States at the end of your visit.

However, even where you satisfy these requirements, and you are granted an American Tourist Visa, this will only authorise you to travel to a U.S. port of entry. A visa does not guarantee entry. You will still need the permission of the U.S. immigration inspector to enter the country.

It is therefore essential that you carry with you any documents in support of the reason for your trip, and that you are able to answer any questions asked of you in relation to where you are staying, for how long, how you are financing your trip, and whether or not you intend to leave the U.S. at the end of your trip.


How do I apply for the B-2 visa?

To apply for an American Tourist Visa you will need to complete an online application using Form DS-160, pay the non-refundable visa application fee where requested, and schedule and attend an interview at your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

You will need to attend your interview with various documents in support of your reason for travel, for example, any travel itinerary, together with evidence of your funds to pay for your trip. Additionally, you may be asked to prove any ties to your home country, for example, evidence of your residence.

You should also attend with the following:

  • A print out of Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • A print out of your appointment confirmation
  • Your application fee payment receipt, where you have already paid
  • Your passport or other travel document
  • A 5 x 5 cm (2” by 2”) colour photograph.

Please note, it is important to apply for a visa well in advance of your intended travel departure date, as your application may require further administrative processing taking several weeks to be approved.

Visa wait times for interview appointments, and visa processing times for each U.S. Embassy or Consulate, are also available on, and on most U.S. Embassy or Consulate websites.

With a B2 Visitor Visa you will normally be allowed to stay in the United States for a period of up to six months. If, however, you are planning to travel the U.S. for an entirely different purpose, or for a longer period, you will need to apply for a different category of visa.

This article does not constitute direct legal advice and is for informational purposes only.

Last updated: 23 July 2023


Founder & Principal Attorney Nita Nicole Upadhye is a recognized leader in the field of US business immigration law, (The Legal 500, Who's Who Legal and AILA) and an experienced and trusted advisor to large multinational corporates through to SMEs. She provides strategic immigration advice and specialist application support to corporations and professionals, entrepreneurs, investors, artists, actors and athletes from across the globe to meet their US-bound talent mobility needs.

Nita is an active public speaker, thought leader, immigration commentator, and immigration policy contributor and regularly hosts training sessions for employers and HR professionals.

Need legal advice?

Book a fixed-fee telephone consultation with one of our US immigration attorneys.

Need legal advice?

Book a fixed-fee telephone consultation with one of our US immigration attorneys.

Share on social

Arrange a fixed-fee telephone consultation with one of our US immigration experts.

For advice on any aspect of US immigration, contact our attorneys.